About Me

My photo
I'm all these things in no particular order: human being, woman, Mother, wife, house maintainer, daughter and overwhelmed. My motto is "live life outloud". Keep keen your sense of humor. One day it'll be the only thing that keeps you sane.

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fire Marshall Bill

Let me tell you something! (I cannot say that sentence without channeling Fire Marshall Bill from "In Living Color")

Remember that show?!? Oh my gosh I loved that show! I loved the dancers, I wanted to be one so bad! Only I got my words mixed up and instead of telling my family members and friends I wanted to be a Fly Girl when I grew up I went around telling people I wanted to be a Call Girl when I grew up. True story.

Back to the subject: LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING! This age/stage/period of time that my sweet, smart, funny little boy is going through right now is about to do me in! Keeping my sense of humor is key and also, so is breathing deep, deep breaths and counting to ten in my head before speaking softly to my super hyper screaming if he doesn't get his way pushing his sister jumping on the furniture little boy. All of this is apparently normal, I know. I also know it will get better and it will also get worse. I do know all of these things. It's a stage, a struggle, a tiny fraction of his childhood and my Motherhood.

I do the best I can. Since he has so much energy we run a lot. And by we I mean HE runs a lot. I walk and challenge him to races, "Hey Henry! I want you to run as FAST as you can to that tree (a mile away, jk) over there, tag it, and RUN back! Ready?!? GO!!!" And we're always swimming or at the park. I really do cater to his physical needs to be very active. I wish it were a bit more productive at slowing him down sometimes though. That's not for me to control though. What I can control is his diet (watching for sugars and processed foods, etc) and I can control my reactions to his behaviors. I'm just worn out and ready for it to be a bit smoother again.

He still likes to sit on my lap and lets me read to him so that's always a calm down and something I LOVE to do for him and my sweet Lucy. So...there's always that.

In other news, I am getting ready to pre-rank my players for my fantasy football team. That will let off a little steam and get me thinking in a different direction.

Oh! I worked out yesterday with an awesome personal trainer with my babysitter at a gym in Saint Louis called Steel Plate Fitness. It was so cool. Something I have figured out about myself over the years is that I really THRIVE on being fit/active. No, I'm not good at any sports where balls are flying at my nose (there goes my social life! ) or anything that requires me to be a team player but I was an athlete in high school. I was a swimmer. Anyway, when I challenged myself after Henry was born to get in shape and to C25K I loved having that goal to reach for. And although I did not reach my goal (shit happens) that's okay. I felt great. So what I am going to say about this personal trainer is that he really had a practical attitude about physical fitness. He called it functional fitness. Things and muscle groups you use on a day to day basis. Let's work on those. The gym has NO machines except for a stationary bike. I'm talking push ups, lunges, crunches, squats, all those things. It's really inspired me to get back into that whole frame of mind and continue to be "active" with my kiddos, but also take time to fine tune my body.

This is getting to be a really long post. But I want to end it with a book I am reading. If you read my previous post you would have seen that I have accepted The Holy Spirit back into my life. The book I am reading right now, if you are at all interested in finding your spirituality is "The Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything - Spirituality for Real Life". I am have been consumed, CONSUMED with researching denominations and I cannot find one right now that suits me. At all. But I've come to peace with that and I'm just going to read this book and see where it leads me. I've had major hang ups with the politics of most churches (no names) that I cannot be a part of....so, I don't know. Anyway, this book, I'll finish and like I said, we'll see where it leads me.

Thanks for listening to my rambling.



No comments:

Post a Comment