About Me

My photo
I'm all these things in no particular order: human being, woman, Mother, wife, house maintainer, daughter and overwhelmed. My motto is "live life outloud". Keep keen your sense of humor. One day it'll be the only thing that keeps you sane.

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Open (a poem attempt)

Face forward
Eyes bright
as to not blind
my heart to the fight

It hurts to peel back the layers
as if I were an orange
to discover the sweetness underneath
the bitter exterior

It's there, though.

Open mind
Open heart
Open soul

take care with gentle ease
yet
protect with rapid fierceness


Just a note about this writing exercise..I have not attempted to write poetry since I was a teenager. Back then, that's all I wrote. I would sit in my room, choosing to stay in on a Friday night only to sit by my stereo and listen to Smashing Pumpkins, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, and, well, cry. To write. Tough times then. That's my point though. From the very beginning of it all, writing has always been a part of me. Some part of my brain, body and spoken language are somehow unable to express what I can so easily, with thought, do. It's hard to listen. It's easy to read. It's hard to talk, it's easy to write.




No comments:

Post a Comment